Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

  • most employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary worker;

  • before you start the hiring process, you must determine if you need an LMIA

  • if you do need an LMIA, you must hire a temporary worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP);

  • you must obtain an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) before one can apply for their work permit;
  • a positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you are offering and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job;

  • the process of LMIA normally takes up to 5 months

💡 Tips for LMIA

📝PGWP holders do not need it;

👷🏻obtaining LMIA is the responsibility of employers, not foreign workers;

🌎if you are especially skilled in something, you don’t have to be physically in Canada to be issued LMIA

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions