Permanent Residence (PR)

  • a permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.
  • a person who is in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.
  • refugees who are resettled from overseas become permanent residents through the Government-Assisted Refugee Program or the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program. Someone who makes a refugee claim in Canada does not become a permanent resident at that time. To become one, the Immigration and Refugee Board must first approve their claim. Then, they must apply for and be granted permanent resident status.
  • if you travel outside Canada, the PR card is your proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. If you leave Canada, you will need this card to re-enter the country on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train, or bus.
  • permanent residents who do not have a PR card, or who are not carrying their PR card when traveling outside the country, will need to obtain a permanent resident travel document before returning to Canada by air mode in order to comply with eTA requirements.
  • if your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status. For more information and assistance with renewing your PR card, or applying for a travel document to return to Canada, please contact us directly.

💡 Tips for PR

🌇being a permanent resident is not a right but a privilege, t
hat’s why you must maintain your obligations:

For example, you should stay for 2 years (not necessarily straight) out of 5 in Canada

keep track of travelling, flights, tickets, gas receipts, hotel bookings, pictures, etc., especially if the border officers don’t stamp your passport

Why is it important? For example, you are lacking 1 full day to apply for permanent residence and you travel history shows that you were outside of Canada this day, even though you were inside Canada but the border officers did not stamp your passport, which eliminates your proof of being on Canada’s territory on that exact date. If you have gas receipts or other bills and tickets issued in Canada, you can prove that you were already in Canada, which saves you this one full day and you are able to apply for PR.

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions