Sponsor a Dependent child

  • If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you may be eligible to sponsor your child to Canada in order to obtain their permanent residence, with this status they are entitled to attend school and social services.
  • Under the current law, a dependent child is defined as a child under the age of 19. In order to sponsor your child you must fall under the following requirements: reside in Canada, be at least 18 years of age, and must be financially responsible for the child on arrival.

  • Apart from a dependent child, you may also be eligible to sponsor adopted children, an orphaned child or “other relatives”. There are some exceptions to the rules above in respect to the age of the dependent child and also if the sponsor is a Canadian citizen.

  • For more information and assistance with these exceptions or with bringing your dependent child to Canada, please call our office or email us directly to book an appointment.

💡Tips for Dependent Child sponsoring:

🧒🏽the person being sponsored must meet the definition of a dependent child set by the Government of Canada (find out if your child is dependent )

🚫you cannot sponsor a person who is older than 22 

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions