Study Permit & Extension

  • a study permit is a document issued by IRCC that allows foreign nationals to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) in Canada;

  • should be requested before you travel to Canada;

  • is not a visa, which means it does not allow you to enter Canada. To enter Canada you need a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA);
  • is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

💡Tips for Study Permits:

To successfully obtain a study permit you need to:

meet language requirements;
🏫meet admission requirements;
💰prove that you or your sponsor is able to support your studies financially (on average, the price for 1 year of studies in a college is CAD 16,000 and CAD 25,000 in a university).

All of this information can be found on a website of an institution you want to study in.

Schedule a consultation today

We are ready to help you at any time convenient for you no matter where you are.
Your consultation will be held either online or in-person.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, virtual meetings are preferred.

Got questions?

Check out our FAQs section to find out more about immigration to Canada.

Sandra Bowen Immigration Frequently Asked Questions